Partner: Mott MacDonald
Client: Municipality of Tirana (in cooperation with Cities Alliance of World Bank)
Period: January 2011 – December 2011
The main goal of this project was to support the Municipality of Tirana in developing a long-term strategic framework for sustainable development. The framework should build upon a highly participatory process and close collaboration with key stakeholders; mobilize both local and external resources for city development; and develop the institutional capacity that will ensure its implementation.
Services on the part of the contractor included:
- carrying out comprehensive SWOT analyses to assess key local economic sectors, growth potential of business agglomerations, specific competitive advantages, quality of business environment, public finances, and state of labor and financial markets;
- identifying indicators and data needed to assess the economy of the Tirana-Durres agglomeration;
- identifying potential policies and initiatives to support and promote local economic development, strengthen the business environment, and mobilize investment (including proposals for stimulating public-private partnerships);
- reviewing existing information and data on land-development strategies and identifying urban areas where equitable land-development strategies could be applied;
- preparing a preliminary study for a master plan on “municipal revenue” to increase municipal budgets;
- and organizing an initial set of training workshops to build capacity of key stakeholders to sustain the CDS process and manage its implementation.